The Farmington Historical Society is touted by state and preservation agencies as being "far ahead of most historical societies." We are a non-profit, procuring and preserving Farmington's incredible history since 1961.
The Society has 3 buildings in Farmington’s downtown historic district.
The North Church (1873), one of only two in the downtown to survive the 1886 fire, underwent significant renovation in 2013 and has reopened for community use. A meeting room, kitchen, bar are on the ground level. The upstairs is the beautiful audience room and former sanctuary which has been untouched since 1915. The North Church is located at 118 High St.
The newest building is The Octagon House, built in 1858 by a local brick yard owner. It is one of only 19 octagon houses left in Maine and of only 400 in the U.S. This architectural style was popular from 1850-1860’s as the angles allowed increased square footage for the same building price, as well as the philosophy of better heating/cooling with the central cupola and the potential of increased family time. The W.G. Mallett family occupied the house from 1912 until 2012. The contents were purchased along with the house, keeping the historic atmosphere. The Octagon House is the societies first building to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.The house is currently being opened for special events and is located at 120 High St.
The Titcomb House, c. 1846, at 118 Academy St. is the home of our museum and research center. Thousands of items, from sleighs to letters and photographs are displayed and stored.
Visit farmingtonhistory.org for more information.